Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kindness isn't random

No, this post isn't about Radiohead.  Or law enforcement of any kind.  Its about random acts of kindness that I may do from time to time.

While throwing something away in the garbage outside the other day, I saw a piece of paper in my yard.  In the garbage you go, rogue piece of trash.  I pick up the offending envelope and realize it is sealed.  However the elements have had their way with it.  The address was faded beyond recognition; the adhesive no longer sticky.  The envelope opened upon investigation and there was a check inside.  $20 for girl scout cookies from a gentleman in California.  So I do what any nice guy would do; go inside and Google the name on the check to see if I can return her property.  A neighbor!  Even easier.  I won't have to use a stamp.  Hey, 44 cents is 44 cents.  I will just drop it off, that way I can get instant recognition for my nice guy deed.

Yesterday I go to the what I think is the correct house to complete my good deed for the week/month/year.  Knock on the door only to be greeted by a very elderly man.  Not the Sue I was expecting.  I explain who I was and why I had their mail.  I leave and go deal with my sick child (see previous days blog for an explanation).

Today I get a visitor.  Now, no one usually comes to my house without calling first.  Through the window, vaguely looked like my mother, only with hair a shade or two redder.  It turns out it was the Sue I was expecting yesterday.  She explained to me that her mail was always falling out of her mailbox and thanked me for returning the check.  So the gratification was delayed, but its nice to know that good deeds don't go unnoticed.

There may be something to this nice thing after all.

That was a boring post, but I can't be exciting every day.  And I couldn't blog about my sick kid again.  I wouldn't put you through that again.  I will try better next time.  Or I will keep the boring, nonsensical diatribes coming.  At least I have options...

No comments:

Post a Comment