Friday, April 13, 2012

I promise to be better.....

So, again, it has been some time since I last instilled upon my loyal readers the trials and tribulations of my kids and my life happenings.  I will do my best to do better, write more often, and not slack off so much.  Do I notice a theme happening?  Nahhh.  Its just that we've been busy.  Yea.  That's it.  Honestly.  I haven't been that lazy.  The kids really have been working me to the bone, and some days my last nerve too.  The following will get up to speed, and it may or may not be in chronicle order; my memory isn't that good anymore.

In the file: Cali is darn near indestructible, we had a Stay At Home parent play date at the Jump Zone.  For all of you that are unfamiliar with this beacon of light to children, it is a warehouse that has been converted and filled with the inflatable bounce houses and activity centers usually reserved for carnivals and birthday parties.  Kids love it.  I repeat, kids LOVE it.  And from what I can gather, parents like it too.  No, we parents don't jump and bounce like we once did in grade school, this place seems to knock our kids right out after a few hours of rambunctious jumping and running.  (My hat's off to the genius who thought of this concept.  One of these days, I will think of something that cool.)

Getting back to indestructible Cali, she walked square into a wall, looked up at my friend only to acknowledge that it indeed happend, rubbed her head and continued on her merry way.  It sounds much less traumatic in writing, but upon closer inspection I found a bruise from her forehead to her cheekbone.  And she was no worse for ware.  Tough cookie!

Easter - Kids, candy, family, candy, adults and candy, etc.  My teeth still hurt.

Bayly had her first real sleep over.  Well, kinda.  It was her cousins, but they did sleep over and the plan was for them to sleep in the same room.  I say plan because my daughter is four and a half and four and a half year olds don't quiet get the concept.  They did what I assume all little girls do on sleepovers; stay up late, chit-chatting about Justin Bieber, playing dolls or whatever kids do these days.  I had heard som noises coming from where the girls were supposed to be sleeping; didn't think much of it.  Just kids being kids.  But when 11:00 rolls around and one comes down to say there are tears flowing, an investigation needs to be commenced.  11:00 is late for a four and a half year old to be up, not to mention her 9 and 7 (maybe upper 6, I really can't remember) year old cousin's to be up as well.  So tears do not surprise me at the least.  It boils down to someone looked at someone wrong, may or may not have said some rude words, and the world stopped spinning in turn causing all life come to a screeching halt.  All said and done, the sleepover turned into a mommy, daddy, and Bayly sleepover in mommy and daddy's bed.  Yea, her first sleepover went pretty well.

There was something in the air today.  Perhaps because it is Friday the 13th.  Ooooooohhh.  Scary, I know.  Anyway, Cali just didn't want to nap.  She was quiet for the duration of laundry folding, at which any sane parent would think she was asleep.  Not so much.  I go see why my little angel is crying to find out she bonked her head on the crib.  "Ok.  You're fine.  You'll live."  Come back ten or fifteen minutes later to find her stark naked, pants and pull-up on the floor saying "Potty!"
"Do you have to go potty?"
"Yea."
Noticing a small wet spot on the mattress, "Did you go already?"
"Yea."
So I put her on the potty, and change the sheet and mattress protector.  I hear her tinkle more, inside I am happy.  "Yea!  Pee Pee on the potty!"  Outside I am very perturbed.  "You couldn't hold it for 5 seconds?"  I get things changed, Cali back in bed with a quarter of the animal/playthings that she needs to sleep with, and head back on my way.  Another ten or fifteen go buy and more crying.  This time she has thrown something out of her crib that she now cannot live without.  This scenario plays out a couple of more times, until I finally buck up and ignore her and she lulls herself to sleep with the soothing sounds of whimpering.  Great, she's now asleep.  I only have to wake her up in an hour to go pick up her sister.  She should be in a spectacular mood for the evening.  Normally she will be in the clutches of the sleepy time fairy for a couple of hours.  Just one hour should be CrapTastic!  She proved me wrong.  She wasn't perfect, but she was cordial and moderately behaved.  Who knew?  Not this guy!

For the past few days, I have been getting back into my old drummer mindset; listening to drummer supergroups, checking out some of my favorite drummers on YouTube, feeling totally inadequate as a drummer.  The kids also have been enjoying a good clinic video every once in a while.  The CD's bring me back to college and back to those inadequacies I had back in those days.  Its nice to see somethings never change.  Its nice to see them take an interest, albiet a tiny one, in something that I enjoy.  It only lasts a few moments, but it's there.  Lets hope they will keep their old man proud and continue to let him think they really want to do things he wants to do.  (I know they won't and probably don't now, but I can dream).


No comments:

Post a Comment