Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Fens

I had this bright idea to take the girls to Fenway Park for the open house.  After much self debating, I decided to enlist some backup for the trip, my mother.  And thank goodness I did.  I would have been out of my mind going at it alone.  She was a big help.  I couldn't have done it without her.  Or anyone for that matter.  What was I thinking attempting a trip like that, two toddlers and one adult?

For those of you who don't know what in the world I am talking about, Fenway Park is where the Boston Red Sox play baseball.  I am and have been a fan of the aforementioned Red Sox for many years, if not all my life.  My first trip to the beloved and historic park was last year for my first game.  I am hoping I can make sure my ladies do not go without seeing and experiencing this national landmark.   I was hoping they would get to do something that I had never had the chance to do as a child.  And now they have.

We got to tour the park, walk the warning track, peer into the Monster's manual scoreboard, one of the last, if not thee last in the majors, and walk around the park at our leisure.  It was a terrific day.  The weather was phenomenal, the behavior was stellar, and I couldn't be more proud to show my children a place that holds a special place in the fabric of my life (albeit mostly in from afar, but it is still deeply rooted in my life).  I am not sure who had more fun today touring the park, feeling the dirt, sitting on the dougout, doing special things in a park that is 100 years old that will stay with me, and hopefully my girls, for a long time.  I did get a feeling come over me when we walked in and we all looked out over the grandstands to the outfield.  It was a feeling of pride; proud to expose my girls to a national treasure that is Fenway Park, the home of the Boston Red Sox.  Honestly, I did get a tiny bit choked up.  I think it was sharing something so special to me with my daughters.  Or was it the fact that I go to bring them to the home of the Red Sox before the Yankee fans got to brainwash them and lure them to the Darkside?  Either way, I hope it stays with them. I hope they will never forget the time their father took them to the Fens.  Lets hope they return the gesture and become members of the Red Sox Nation for life, at least to make their old man happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment