Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My worst parenting decision to date

Lets start off by saying I am usually a good parent. Sometimes I am even great! Just ask me.  I keep my kids safe and clean (most of the time) and even fed.  I play with my kids.  I teach my kids important life skills such as the importance of being polite, sharing (a work in progress), cleaning up after ones self (an arduous task) and the art of laundry folding.  Yet the other day I had a lapse in judgement.  One that I am not proud of.  I purchased the Frozen soundtrack from iTunes. A harmless act, you say?  Sure.  The music of the latest Disney craze/fad/brainwashing movie is filled with songs my children know by heart (another example of brainwashing; they learn them in school!) and keeps them occupied for hours, even whole minutes on end.  But the drawback is hearing Let It Go (both versions) or Do You Want To Build A Snowman in constant replay.  These songs must be what Zendaya was singing about in her song Replay.  Yes, I know that song too.  It is on RadioDisney.  A lot.  Further proof Disney is taking over the psyches of the world.  All these songs get wedged into my brain and I am forced to sing them to myself ALL DAY.  ALL. DAY.

The problem is some of the songs are very sad.  I have seen the movie (further proof of brainwashing; Disney makes it so parents AND kids watch their movies if they want to or not).  Every time I hear some of the songs I remember back to the scenes and how unfortunate the character's situations are.  Frozen  is a great movie but replaying the whole movie in my head all is getting old.  I just hope my kids are relating to it like I am.  I hope they are getting the message of the movie:  True love is the most important thing.  But not Prince/Princess true love (that has been done a thousand times over, by Disney. It's their bread and butter) but the the true love between family.  I can only hope that message will set in soon and my girls will stop bickering and fighting with each other over who sits next to whom at the dinner table or which one got their water cup first.

So maybe there is something to this brainwashing thing.  I only have fifteen or so more years to test my theory.

And to be fair, I do not believe Disney is brainwashing my children or society.  They do a wonderful job creating, marketing and promoting their products.  And they try like hell to get a great message to the younger generation (and sometimes the older crowd, too. And if you are over the age of 30 and camp out for the next Disney movie to come out at the theater, you need more to do. Let me know if your have some down time.  I have a ton of stuff that needs to get done and I could use an extra hand or two).

No comments:

Post a Comment